Recipes from Spain. Setas al ajillo (mushrooms fried with garlic)
Picking mushrooms in the forests is a very popular activity in Spain, especially during Autumn, but certainly also during Winter. In Spanish forests many different varieties of mushrooms can be found. But it is extremely important to be able to recognize these varietes before eating, since many of them are toxic and consequently non-edible.
Among the multiple varieties of Spanish mushrooms, Saffron milk cap mushroom (Lactarius deliciosus) is one of the most popular ones (due to its abundance) and one of the most appreciated as well (thanks not only to its exquisite flavour but also to the quality of its meat).
You can recognize this mushroom by its convex, brittle and meaty cap, which can be up to 15 cm in diameter. It is orange in colour and once it has matured further, some green spots appear. On the underside of it, gills are bright orange and quite tight.
Mushrooms and subsequently Saffron milk cap mushrooms, provide multiple health benefits:
- They are a rich source of vitamins, especially Vitamin B, very useful against stress and migraines as well as to lower cholesterol levels. In addition, they provide Vitamin C, D, E and K.
- They are very low in calories, so they are a slimming aid.
- They are high in fiber and low in fat content.
- They contain a high content in minerals such as copper, selenium, phosphorus and potassium. Among others, iodine, magnesium, sodium, iron and zinc are present in lesser amounts.
- They have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective and anti-aging properties. They also benefit our skin and hair.
- They strengthen our immune system by increasing antibody production.
- They are suitable for coeliacs since they are gluten free.
- Numerous studies talk about their anti-cancer properties.
As we mentioned before, Saffron milk cap mushrooms are very appreciated in Spanish cuisine since they are used in many recipes. Normally we find them in stews, roasts and as a garnish to accompany meats.
Now, we show you a tasty and easy recipe that you can prepare with Saffron milk cap or any other kind of mushrooms. This delicious recipe is a tapa called ‘Setas al Ajillo’ which comes from the Autonomous Community of Aragon.
In El Colmado HK you will find everything you need to cook this delicious mushroom recipe:
-Lactarius Delicious Mushrooms: https://www.elcolmadohk.com/legumes-canned-food/123-lactarius-deliciosus-mushrooms-ferrer.html